Camelot Unchained is a "counter-revolutionary" RvR-focused (Realm versus Realm) Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game from Mark Jacobs (creator of Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online) and City State Entertainment. The game is set in a post-apocalyptic yet familiar world, featuring three Realms vying for control of land and resources.
Starting as one of the most successful Kickstarter games ever, it is still raising funds through it's website with total budget getting close to $7 million. Camelot Unchained is in late Alpha testing, with Beta scheduled to begin in Q1 2018 and launch estimated for 2019.
The three opposed Realms that will be in the game are the noble Arthurians, the fierce Vikings, and the mysterious Tuatha Dé Danann (TDDs for short). Each Realm will have at least one humanoid race and unique classes, not even mirrored in any of the other two realms.
Currently planned number of classes is huge, 33 (11 per Realm, including crafter class) with at least 21 being there at launch; Also, game should launch with at least 15 races, 5 per Realm.
CSE (City State Entertainment) launched their Kickstarter on April 2nd 2013. The project ended with 14,873 backers, totaling $2,232,933.
On January 18th, 2018, CEO Mark Jacobs announced that the company had received $7.5 million in a financing round. Jacobs stated that this was a minority investment and the direction of the company would not change.
Some Important Features
- It will be based on strong Realm (also, guild or even class/race) pride, connected to the unique classes (non-mirrored between different Realms), deep lore and history of conflict;
- Custom made engine (already able to handle many hundreds of players in a small area), crucial for good performance in large scale battles;
- The truly dynamic world made of islands that will change both appearance and position depending on each Realm's territory control and placing of powerful stabilizers;
- Players will be making their own abilities out of components, giving the unprecedented level of depth to the character customization;
- Complex server-side physics, connected to players' body, mass and fully destructible player-made buildings.
- Territory conquest and reshaping of the world will be based on massive sieges with hundreds of players both in attack and defense;
- Everything in game will be built or crafted by players, and both buildings and items will decay over time thus giving much more significance to builders and crafters;
- Leveling will be horizontal, making the difference between veteran and new players much smaller that it normally is in similar games; This will make it much easier for the beginners to join the war.